Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Friends for a Week

Ilaria misses her group of friends and I suppose there's something to that. I've never really been someone who has had groups of friends, nor do I think as an adult I ever really will.

I've always had a couple of close people in my life at a time and that's really it. I've had friends and acquaintances of course but I never really feel a closeness to many people at once.

In high school I had a constant in Kim, and later Julie. That was it. I had other friends that fluttered in and out of my everyday life but I never felt a particular bond with anyone. "We're all just best friends for a week!" Erica and I giggled on our third day in a row hanging out when we were 14. And it kinda summed up the way our friendships worked for the remainder of our school years. Some weeks Erica was my best friend, some weeks Rachel, then Jamie or Emily or Alex or Tammie or whoever we had a common thread with at the moment. But we were rarely a group of friends. We were too busy swapping our loyalties.

I suppose this high school pettiness was something that I should have left behind. And I suppose the petty part of it has been left. But I've always remained in the same basic mindset with my friendships. I only really ever feel I have a couple of real friends at a time, and the others all become interchangable parts of my life.

And it usually leaves me feeling like I don't have a lot of people I can really go to.

I'd love to have a group of friends for the first time. It would be lovely for the people I'm close with to have things in common with each other, to make plans all together. Like on the sitcoms, a few girls and guys, all close, a tight gang of people supporting everyone else. But how do you develop that kind of relationship as an adult when everyone has their own ties to bring to the table. Is it possible? Cause right now my group of friends pretty much consists of Ilaria but I think she's getting bored of just me.

No comments: