Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An old photo memory

Ryan and I both had copies of this photo. I made doubles of all my pictures when I got back to America and sent him everything I had. This was always one of my favorites, in fact it still sits in a frame in my room to this day.

The interesting thing about my framed copy however is that it's actually HIS copy of the photo, a fact he doesn't know. When I moved back to London the following summer Ryan and I lived together. We shared a teeny tiny little bedroom, with a bunk bed. One day I was trying to organize our mess of belongings while he was at work when I came across a box of photos. He had written on the back of all the photos I had sent him from the previous summer. Mostly just with the names or places of those in the picture. But this one was special. It read:

"Dinner with Amit and Kat on our second double date. Emily is so gorgeous. I love her so much."

It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, in part because he had no idea I would ever see it so I knew it wasn't something that was merely said as flattery, for my benefit.

So I switched the photos. I gave him my copy and I kept the one he had scrawled those words upon. It is one of my very favorite possessions.

No comments: